Current:Home > InvestNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TradeSphere
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:24:04
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (396)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- DeSantis' campaign is brutally honest about trailing Trump in presidential race, donors say
- Lisa Marie Presley died of small bowel obstruction, medical examiner says
- Warming Trends: New Rules for California Waste, Declining Koala Bears and Designs Meant to Help the Planet
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Nearly 30 women are suing Olaplex, alleging products caused hair loss
- A Bankruptcy Judge Lets Blackjewel Shed Coal Mine Responsibilities in a Case With National Implications
- Houston’s Mayor Asks EPA to Probe Contaminants at Rail Site Associated With Nearby Cancer Clusters
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Senators are calling on the Justice Department to look into Ticketmaster's practices
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- OceanGate Believes All 5 People On Board Missing Titanic Sub Have Sadly Died
- Inflation eased again in January – but there's a cautionary sign
- Want To Get Ready in 3 Minutes? Beauty Gurus Love This $5 Makeup Stick for Cheeks, Eyes, and Lips
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- California’s Strict New Law Preventing Cruelty to Farm Animals Triggers Protests From Big U.S. Meat Producers
- Inside Clean Energy: A Steel Giant Joins a Growing List of Companies Aiming for Net-Zero by 2050
- Cheers Your Cosmos to the Most Fabulous Sex and the City Gift Guide
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Indigenous Leaders and Human Rights Groups in Brazil Want Bolsonaro Prosecuted for Crimes Against Humanity
Missed the northern lights last night? Here are pictures of the spectacular aurora borealis showings
Kim Kardashian Makes Rare Comments on Paris Robbery Nearly 7 Years Later
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Amazon will send workers back to the office under a hybrid work model
Trump asks 2 more courts to quash Georgia special grand jury report
Are you caught in the millennial vs. boomer housing competition? Tell us about it